Monday, March 6, 2017

A glimpse into our utopia

Motherhood is endlessly fulfilling, as any mom could tell you.  It's also easy to be a nice human being while raising live young and performing basic household tasks! Ha ha ha.  Here's a glimpse into our little piece of heaven on earth.

I have had piles of laundry sitting on the couch and in hampers for several days.  Portions of at least five loads lingered around.  I had sorted and folded into tidy little piles two or three loads, but these had gotten shoved to the end of the couch to make space for sitting and playing and so they were essentially back in their natural state of chaos.  There is little point in trying to fold laundry while Pip is on patrol as he feels strongly about his role as hamper trampler and clothes unsorter.   Of course I could use his nap time but it turns out nap time needed the following activities as well:

  • Call insurance to disagree with their decision not to pay for a test my doctor ordered (of course time on hold)
  • Call doctor's office to ask for their assistance, transfer to billing and repeat request
  • Answer work emails and provide feedback to students preparing to turn in a paper tomorrow
  • Exercise on ye olde treadmill
  • Lift weights
  • Work on a paper cutting (yes I am going to enjoy a hobby for once!)
Sooooo nap time is pretty heavily scheduled.  That left evening when P would plausibly be entertained by his father.  Hahahaha.  Not if Pip hears the clarion call of cloth being folded.  He knows his duty.  After crossly steering him out of the hamper more than once and making several trips up the stairs I finally got the last of it prepped for put away.  First I needed to put the clean sheets back on my bed.  Obviously I'd need a toddler to get on that bed to help the process.  Then I'd need a toddler to repeatedly try to touch a very hot light bulb while I put away my socks -- ultimately resulting in me putting away laundry in the dark because some people cannot be deterred.

As you might imagine, I was in a super duper good mood about my progeny by that point.  I had to pee.  The bathroom door is currently not latching (of course).  So as I try to have 30 seconds to do what must be done, a toddler barges in cackling like a maniac.  He heads straight for the walk in shower, which is still soaking wet from earlier.  Is he in his footie pajamas? Yes he is.  So I lunged off the toilet and grabbed the boy by the scruff of the pajamas and shoved him out the door, cooing in my best motherly dovelike tones "LEAVE ME ALONE DAMMIT!"  Then I sat on the seat abruptly at a weird angle and broke it, and had to hold the door shut with one hand.  Oh and I had pee dripping down my leg so that had to get cleaned and my pajamas changed.  My son was screaming and sobbing in vexation at being excluded from mama's company.  It's moments like this that make me hope to be featured in the Ensign mother's day issue.

After we'd both had some time to recover from the intensity of our mother-son bonding, we snuggled down for stories.   I gathered a large stack of books as a peace offering and read them all while he nestled close.  It was very sweet and lovely.  I read him Caps For Sale twice, because he is very good at doing the monkey part, wagging his finger tauntingly and saying "Tzt tzt tzt!"  When we were done he called for family hug, our little pre-bed ritual of sandwiching together for kisses and good night.  He's learning how to say "I love you."  I tucked him in to bed and gave Bunny and Piddit (Piglet) each a kiss, we said prayers and I turned out the light.  I love him a lot, and he's a great kid, and I love being a mom.

And I put duct tape on the toilet seat because when I sat on it again it pinched my inner thigh and I uttered an obscene word.  I guess on Wednesday we go on a field trip to Jerry's.  I'm really working on not swearing and I feel like I'm getting better, but I also feel like opportunities keep presenting themselves really persuasively. 

2 comments:

  1. You are my faaaavorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enormously impressed with anyone who can care for a child for hours on end. If you could do so without occasionally resorting to obscenities I would think you were a robot.
    Fun fact: when we were kids my mother would hide behind a fort of laundry barrels and pretend she couldn't hear us when the ceaseless "mom? mom. mom! mom. mom...." was too much to bear.

    ReplyDelete